The Way of the Healthy Deviant featuring Pilar Gerasimo
Guess what? The world has gone bonkers. The United States, and many other “civilized” societies, now reliably produce more sick and miserable people than healthy, happy ones.
In the context of a predominantly unhealthy culture, being a sustainably healthy person requires a variety of non-compliant (i.e., “deviant”) acts and attitudes. It requires defying socially accepted norms and rejecting conventional choices and default behavior patterns.
In this talk, Pilar Gerasimo will offer an eye-opening look at the true nature of our current health challenges, an exploration of the transformative promise of Healthy Deviance, and some practical suggestions for embracing The Way of the Healthy Deviant as a means of escaping our unhealthy culture’s deadly vortex.
Points of exploration include:
- How a limited view of our present circumstances has caused us to misperceive and counterproductively respond to our most pressing health problems.
- How repeated experiences of failure with socially promoted health-improvement tactics have led many to believe their issues are too difficult to overcome, thereby engendering learned helplessness, desperation and shame.
- How embracing Healthy Deviance can help us overcome our limiting conditions, access new ideals of health and happiness, and collectively blaze more rewarding paths forward.
Thursday, March 28, 2019
3:30 PM Doors
4 - 5:30 PM Program
McNamara Alumni Center
200 Oak Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Parking & Directions
General Public: $20
UMAA Discount: $18
UMN Faculty & Staff: $10
Students: $5 (limit 1 per U Card)
This course is approved by ICHWC for 1.5 continuing education units (CEP # 100057).
- The Wellbeing Series
- Mindfulness Programs
- Ruth Stricker Mind-Body Lecture
- Special Guest Lectures and Presentations
- Stress Busters: Free Stress-Reduction Classes for Students, Faculty, and Staff