CSPH 5319 - Yoga & Ayurveda in India
Yoga and Ayurveda are interrelated, ancient, holistic Indian traditions that integrate ethics, spirituality, and healing. While studying with expert practitioners at the University of Minnesota and in India, students will examine the claim that the systematic practice of these traditions promotes healing and optimal health. Using critical thinking, students will investigate scientific evidence for Yoga and Ayurveda and propose additional research needed. Students will synthesize the philosophical, psychological, and ethical teachings of Yoga and Ayurveda with their experiential knowledge in order to meet the course objectives and their own needs personally and professionally.
Students fly from MSP to New Delhi, where they can visit the Taj Mahal in Agra. Students travel by Jeep to Sadhaka Grama Ashram near Rishikesh and study with expert Yoga practitioners. During free time, students will walk along the Ganges River and visit Vashista Cave. At the Himalayan Institute Hospital Trust and Ayurveda Center near Dehradun, they learn about research and integrative care using Yoga and Ayurveda. They return to New Delhi and fly back to MSP.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Explain the deeper dimension of Yoga.
- Compare and contrast the Himalayan Tradition of Yoga with other traditions of Yoga.
- Explain Ayurveda.
- Analyze the relationship between Yoga and Ayurveda
- Compare and contrast Yoga and Ayurveda in terms of ethics, spirituality, and healing.
- Investigate how to apply Yoga in personal and professional life.
- Investigate how to apply Ayurveda in personal and professional life.
- Evaluate scientific research involving Yoga and propose additional research needed.
- Evaluate scientific research involving Ayurveda and propose additional research needed.
- Compare and contrast Yoga and Ayurveda with conventional health care.
- Using critical thinking, propose how to include Yoga in integrative care.
- Using critical thinking, propose how to include Ayurveda in integrative care.