CSPH 5703 - Advanced Health Coaching Practicum
This course is designed to provide additional case-based learning in Health Coaching as a means to deepen and mature the process skills that were introduced in Fundamentals of Health Coaching I and II. Increasing confidence in the application of theory and process from earlier courses will be emphasized. Additionally, students will have the opportunity to hone their abilities to identify and utilize broad-based resources in guiding and supporting individual clients. Students are given the opportunity to integrate and apply all previous areas of learning and to explore their resistance, learning edges, and competencies in a supportive supervisory environment. Students will be encouraged to deepen their own style of Health Coaching as well as their own growth processes. Ethical issues, professional boundaries, referral processes, and client selection will be introduced here and furthered in internships.
- At the conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply the principles of holism and the innate healing ability of individuals in coaching interactions with clients.
- Recognize the role of stress in health and disease, educate clients about stress and recommend appropriate tools and techniques for managing stress.
- Apply knowledge of core coaching constructs in health coaching interactions including the four pillars, change theory, therapeutic relationship, modeling, and goal setting.
- Demonstrate principles of effective interpersonal communication skills in health coaching interactions.
- Demonstrate effective teaching skills including an ability to educate clients about health risks, health information sources, appropriate services and care (conventional, complementary, or alternative) as well as cost considerations, value and potential benefits of these services.
- Apply all ways of knowing in assisting clients in constructing individual integrative health plans.
- Use one’s previous education, professional work, and personal experience to develop a holistic framework that can be applied to health coaching sessions.
- Discern the appropriateness of applying one’s health coaching knowledge and skills in a variety of service delivery venues or in a private health coaching practice.
- Identify potential ethical issues, boundary challenges, referral processes, and client choice limitations, in an individual’s coaching practice.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills through verbal and written communication.
What Students Are Saying