CSPH 5703 - Advanced Health Coaching Practicum
This course is designed to provide additional case-based learning in Health Coaching as a means to deepen and mature the process skills that were introduced in Fundamentals of Health Coaching I and II. Increasing confidence in the application of theory and process from earlier courses will be emphasized. Additionally, students will have the opportunity to hone their abilities to identify and utilize broad-based resources in guiding and supporting individual clients. Students are given the opportunity to integrate and apply all previous areas of learning and to explore their resistance, learning edges, and competencies in a supportive supervisory environment. Students will be encouraged to deepen their own style of Health Coaching as well as their own growth processes. Ethical issues, professional boundaries, referral processes, and client selection will be introduced here and furthered in internships.
Note: this course has an additional course fee. Please check here for more information.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Apply the theory and practice of Health Coaching, including the 4 Pillars of Health Coaching™, Motivational Interviewing, Emotional intelligence, Nonviolent Communication, Appreciative Inquiry, in supervised community coaching interactions.
- Demonstrate the basic and advanced elements of an effective coach/client interchange in community coaching interactions.
- Develop and individualize a holistic coaching framework that can be applied to health coaching interactions.
- Apply knowledge of core coaching constructs in health coaching interactions including change theory, therapeutic relationship, modeling, and goal setting.
- Demonstrate effective teaching skills including an ability to educate clients about health risks, health information sources, appropriate services and care (conventional and integrative) including cost considerations, value and potential benefits of these services.
- Demonstrate basic professional communication in a health coaching practice.
- Identify and respond to potential ethical issues, boundary challenges, recommendation processes, and client choice limitations, in an individual’s coaching practice.
- Demonstrate basic skills for professional recordkeeping practices in a health coaching practice.
- Demonstrate professional communication within outside organizations.
- Demonstrate increasing mastery in interpersonal communication skills in health coaching interactions.
- Demonstrate self awareness and reflection to build increasing coaching effectiveness.