CSPH 5706 - Lifestyle Medicine
This course provides a foundation in the theory and clinical application of lifestyle medicine. Lifestyle medicine aims to address the behavioral and lifestyle bases of common illnesses through health promoting activities and reducing harmful behaviors. In this course, we will explore optimal nutrition, lifestyle, physical activity, and attitude. We will examine the emerging evidence base of lifestyle medicine and how it relates to health promotion and disease prevention. Participants will be introduced to common laboratory and imaging findings, and how they relate to optimal health.
At the conclusion of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe the theory, scope, and common clinical applications of lifestyle medicine.
- Define health, health promotion, and disease prevention.
- Identify risk factors and their proximal causes for common chronic conditions.
- Understand the basic interpretation of common lab and screening tests
- Describe evidence-based suggestions for optimizing nutrition, activity, stress, sleep, and enhancing affect; reducing risk factors; and preventing illness.
- Understand resources available for client and coach utilization.