CSPH 4311 - Foundations of Hatha Yoga: Alignment & Movement Principles
Anatomical considerations/understanding critical to executing safe/effective Hatha Yoga instruction. Overview of human gross anatomy/bodily systems essential to Hatha Yoga. First in sequence of three courses in University of Minnesota Yoga Teachers Education & Training Sequence. Students who complete sequence may be qualified to register with Yoga Alliance as 200 hour Registered Yoga Teacher.
This course will introduce students to the anatomical considerations and understanding critical to executing safe and effective Hatha Yoga instruction. This course includes, as essential to Hatha Yoga, an overview of human gross anatomy and bodily systems (specifically neuro-musculoskeletal and respiratory systems). Students will learn and practice foundational concepts of Hatha Yoga and movement, as related to Yoga Asana. Additionally, students will be introduced to methods of effectively communicating these principles as a Hatha Yoga instructor.
At the completion of this course , students will be able to:
- Identify and discuss major anatomical and biomechanical principles as related to Yoga Asana;
- Describe and demonstrate effective (functional) practices and safe movement principles in Hatha Yoga Asana;
- Identify and explain various forms of Hatha Yoga;
- Describe and demonstrate safe and effective modifications and variations in Yoga Asana sequences for general and special populations;
- Identify contraindications to common Hatha Yoga Asana;
- Explain the scientific evidence of well-being outcomes associated with Hatha Yoga Asana;
- Evaluate functional movement patterns in Hatha Yoga Asana practice;
- Describe and demonstrate effective communication tools to verbalize correct anatomical alignment and movement patterns in a Hatha Yoga class setting.
This course is the first course in a sequence of three (3) courses in the University of Minnesota Yoga Teachers’ Education & Training Sequence. Students who successfully complete these courses A-F or S-N are eligible to register with Yoga Alliance as a 200 hour Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT). Students who only audit the course cannot use the course to be registered with Yoga Alliance.
To search for classes, register for classes, or learn how to enroll, please click the button below.