CSPH 5102 - Art of Healing: Self as Healer
This course is offered in person. Check the class search for in person meeting dates and times.
The initiation of a healer in ancient cultures was a rigorous process that included a personal journey of inner development and transformation that paralleled the learning of the cognitive and physical healing techniques. This course will introduce the student to the concept of the individual transformational journey. The science of mind-body-spirit approaches will be explored through a variety of methods including lecture, scientific literature review, meditation, imagery, journal writing and social support through group interaction. The students will have an opportunity to explore various aspects of self-knowledge, self-awareness, transpersonal (non-local) experiences, and the paradoxical mysteries that will prepare them for their student and personal lives.
- By the end of the course, students will:
- Identify the core beliefs and understandings of the use of “self” as healer.
- Identify the personal life-experiences that led the student to their current life path.
- Identify what gives meaning and purpose to the student’s life and academic choices.
- Discuss the importance of self-care to wellbeing and identify tools and strategies that promote these concepts.
- Utilize mind-body-spirit skills to promote wellbeing for self and others.
- Explore the role of dreams in healing.
- Explore the use of essential oils for personal self-care.
- Begin to understand “energy of self”, what restores personal energy and what depletes personal energy.
- Create a personal self-care plan that includes aspects of physical (body), emotional (mind) and spiritual (spirit) self-care.