CSPH 5102 - Art of Healing: Self as Healer
Introduction to individual transformational journey as part of health science education. Students become aware of their responsibility/resources to facilitate development of the self. Research data, experience of self that is part psychoneuroimmunology, mind-body-spirit approaches. Lecture, scientific literature, meditation, imagery, drawing, group interaction.
Note: Course meets in person 2 full days per semester
- Identify the core beliefs and understandings of the use of "self" as healer.
- Identify the personal life-experiences that led the student to the health sciences or a particular school.
- Identify what gives meaning and purpose to the student's life, and academic choices.
- Compare and contrast integrated (mind-body-spirit) self-care and human mystery with the reductionistic scientific perspective.
- Compare and identify Era I, II & III of Medicine according to Larry Dossey, MD.
- Identify the role of dreams in healing.
- Experience the use of Essential Oils for personal self-care.
- Begin to understand "energy of self", what gives life and what depletes life.
- Create a personal plan that includes aspects of physical, emotional and spiritual self-care and social support the student may access during the educational experience.