This class is an in depth exploration of the use of music in medicine, including music therapy, music medicine, and music psychotherapy practices, techniques and interventions; explication of hypotheses and rationale related to interventions; and exploration of related research.
At the conclusion of the course you will be able to:
1. Describe theoretical orientations and differential characteristics of music medicine and music therapy practices and methodologies.
2. Identify music medicine techniques and interventions utilized to treat specific conditions and age groups.
3. Identify music therapy techniques and interventions utilized with various clinical populations.
4. Identify theories and assumptions underlying the scientific basis of selected interventions.
5. Analyze ethical issues associated with the use of music in healthcare.
6. Describe therapeutic elements within music and how they are utilized.