This course is offered completely online.
For centuries, people in virtually every known culture in the world have recognized the tremendous potential of music to promote health and healing. In this course we will explore music's power to heal body, mind, and spirit through examining the main music healing disciplines used today: music therapy, music medicine, clinical musicianship, medical musicianship, music-thanatology, vibroacoustic harp therapy, sound healing, and community music. You will also learn some easy music healing techniques you can use for yourself.
At the conclusion of the course you will be able to:
1. Describe theoretical orientations and differential characteristics of music medicine and music therapy practices and methodologies.
2. Identify music medicine techniques and interventions utilized to treat specific conditions and age groups.
3. Identify music therapy techniques and interventions utilized with various clinical populations.
4. Identify theories and assumptions underlying the scientific basis of selected interventions.
5. Analyze ethical issues associated with the use of music in healthcare.
6. Describe therapeutic elements within music and how they are utilized.