CSPH 5642 - Nature Heals: An Introduction to Nature-Based Therapeutics
This course is offered completely online.
This graduate level course will cover the basic theories and approaches of Nature-Based Therapeutics including restorative environments, therapeutic horticulture, animal assisted interactions, therapeutic landscapes, forest bathing, green care farming, facilitated green exercise, wilderness therapy and ecopsychology. The course includes:
1) historic and theoretical perspectives
2) research into specific techniques
3) application of techniques to specific population and setting
At the conclusion of the course the student will be able to:
1. Understand the enhanced quality of life and health benefits of nature-based therapeutics.
2. Identify principles and theoretical framework of nature-based therapeutics.
3. Recognize methods of nature-based therapeutic interventions.
4. Discuss the current evidence-based applications to support the delivery and intervention of nature-based therapeutics.
5. Identify nature-based therapeutic techniques utilized to treat specific target population needs and strengths.
6. Apply concepts and practices of nature-based therapeutics to a specific user group/individual.
7. Critique, synthesize and suggest future direction for nature-based therapeutic research.