CSPH 5701 - Fundamentals of Health Coaching I
This course provides a foundation of Health Coaching theory and practice. We will explore basic tenets of the health coaching model (a 4-pillared construct), including deep listening, effective and empathic communication, and tools for self-development. We examine the core building blocks for optimal health from a holistic perspective. In Health Coaching, each person is recognized as an intrinsically healthy, whole, and wise being, who is the ultimate expert in his or her healing journey. As a student and coach in training, your own self-development becomes an organic part of your professional evolution, and you will receive support in this. It is the role of the Health Coach to provide a safe environment and professional expertise to support this journey. In this course you will learn how to facilitate the client’s process by identifying and benchmarking stages and patterns of change, effectively interfacing with a wide range of interdisciplinary health care providers, and educating clients on a variety of self-care practices.
At the conclusion of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe the theory and practice of Health Coaching, including the Four Pillars of Health Coaching™.
- Identify the basic elements of an effective coach/client interchange.
- Apply effective coaching techniques including Motivational Interviewing, Emotional Intelligence, Non-Violent communication, Appreciative Inquiry, and ritual.
- Apply multilevel listening and interpretation skills.
- Discuss holistic health and healing frameworks as they apply to health coaching.
- Discuss the importance of ongoing personal development in one’s professional coaching practice.
- Apply one or more tools for self-reflection and personal growth.