CSPH 5806 - Wellbeing and Resiliency for Health Professionals
This course will teach health professional students and health professionals self-care strategies that will improve their individual wellbeing and reduce the stress and burnout often experienced in these professions.
Improving individual wellbeing will also contribute to greater wellbeing in the teams and systems in which these professionals work.
By the end of the course, students will:
- Discuss what stress is and how it will impact personal wellbeing and behavior.
- Identify stressors common to people in all health professions as well as those unique to specific professions and/or individuals.
- Discuss wellbeing in the relational, social, and environmental context in which the healthcare professional lives and works.
- Discuss the role of a healthy lifestyle, perceptions & thoughts, and values & purpose in enhancing wellbeing in health professionals.
- Develop skills to enhance mindful awareness and apply them to self-care
- Identify the importance of wellness in terms of its impact on interprofessional wellbeing (other members of the health care team, health care system and patient care outcomes).
- Develop and implement a personal plan for self-care that enhances resiliency in a health professional setting.
Section also available as part of the Center's Study Abroad Program in Hawaii.