Interested in becoming a health coach? To apply, please read the application instructions below. For assistance with your application, please contact us at 612-624-3399 .
Minimum Requirements for Master’s: A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a healthcare or health-related field. Professionals without healthcare backgrounds, with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, may also apply assuming completion of required prerequisites. Prerequisites for all applicants include coursework in psychology, physiology, and statistics completed before enrollment. Coursework or practical experience in medical terminology is strongly recommended. A GPA of 3.0 is mandatory.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2019 priority consideration deadline and March 15, 2019 final deadline for Fall semester admission. Late applications will not be considered. However, you may contact the Student Services office at 612-624-5166 to discuss options for completing prerequisites and certain coursework prior to entering the program in Fall 2019.
3. Complete University of Minnesota online application. You will need to create a username and password to complete the application. You may log in and save as often as you wish to complete the various application sections before the final submission and application fee payment.
a. Upload the following to the online application:
Please note that the online application is a general application that covers many programs. Please follow these guidelines when you write your statement and upload materials (rather than the general guidelines found in the online application). Fill out all fields marked as required in each section of the application. In addition, the items listed below are the only items our program requires for upload.
i. Current CV or vocational history including a chronological listing of positions held as well as a brief statement about your current employment. Be sure to include relevant volunteer work. Upload in "supplementary info" or “resume” section of application
ii. A three-five page personal statement focusing on what led to your interest in health coaching as a professional activity, and a description of your interest in and experience with holistic integrative health and healing. Please include a statement about what hopes and expectations you have of the Health Coaching Certificate or Master’s program. Include a statement about when prerequisite coursework will be completed if it has not already been. Upload in the "Statement #1" section of application. No other statements (diversity, writing sample, etc) are required by our program.
b. Use the online application to indicate the names and emails of three recommenders. An automated email will be sent to each asking that they fill out an evaluation form and upload a letter of recommendation.
i. Letters should be from people who know you in a professional capacity. At least one letter should be from an academic source if possible and one from an employer/supervisor.
c. Upload unofficial copies of all transcripts to the application program. Official copies will be required before you begin the program, but unofficial copies are required in the meantime for application review.
4. Submit application and pay application fee ($75 US/permanent resident or $95 International). Be sure you have completed all required sections of the online application before submitting. No further changes may be made after submission. You will receive an email from the Graduate School Admissions office confirming receipt of your application. If you are missing any required documentation it will be addressed in the response.
5. You will be notified if you have been selected to interview with members of the admissions committee after you have submitted your application. Interviews will begin in mid-January.
6. After your application is reviewed by the Center for Spirituality & Healing faculty admissions committee, decisions will be forwarded to the Graduate School for final approval. The Graduate School will notify you directly of the admission decision.
- Master of Arts in Integrative Health and Wellbeing Coaching
- Certificate in Integrative Therapies and Healing Practices-Health Coaching Track
Information Sessions for Fall 2019 Applicants
Contact Christina Owen at email@example.com or 612-624-3399 for more information and to RSVP.
Lifestyle Medicine Online CE Course
Some health and wellness coaches may find that they need more content expertise in the area of lifestyle medicine. In the future, accredited Health Coaching educational programs will be required to contain 15 hours of content in this field, but current transitionally-approved programs have not offered this to all students. Examinees will be held responsible for knowing this content on the exam.
Additionally, other health professionals and community members may have professional or personal interest in learning about how lifestyle factors impact health and wellbeing, and about the current recommendations for optimal behaviors.
The University of Minnesota's Earl E. Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing is now offering an affordable, fully-online, self-paced Lifestyle Medicine continuing education course that is composed of 4-units that each include video, readings, and quizzes for self-evaluation.
- For-Credit Courses
- Degrees, Minor, and Certificates
- Focus Areas
- Whole Systems Healing
- Online Learning
- Scholarships and Student Opportunities