The University of Minnesota's Earl E. Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing provides many opportunities for students to explore their health and wellbeing.
We offer lectures, workshops, academic courses, graduate programs, free self-care websites, health professional training, and much more.
Our team would be happy to discuss these opportunities or answer any questions you may have. For questions regarding academic courses or programs, please contact the Student Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other inquiries regarding community programming or other resources can be sent to the Community Relations Office at email@example.com.
Earn academic credits as you learn to reduce stress and improve your mental health & wellbeing. The Bakken Center is dedicated to students, which is why we offer a diverse selection of courses with in person, blended, and online options to fit your schedule. The Center is here to support you in your academic journey!
Academic Courses: The Earl E. Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing has offered academic courses that focus on integrative healing and wellbeing for more than two decades. They are open to current undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Minnesota, students at other academic institutions, and lifelong learners in the community.
Academic Programs: The Center’s graduate degree programs include a Master of Arts in Integrative Health and Wellbeing Coaching, and a Minor and Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Integrative Therapies and Healing Practices. Students learn to succeed in interprofessional, team-based healthcare environments.
In addition to academic courses, the Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing offers free and low-cost community programming to learn more about how to enhance your health and wellbeing. This includes weekly online gentle movement and guided meditation sessions, webinars from Center faculty and notable thought-leaders, and workshops on topics such as mindfulness, mental health, and self-care.
- Mindful Mondays: Refresh and recharge yourself with a free informal hour of meditation and light movement. Our experienced instructors will guide you through exercises that will leave you feeling rejuvenated.
- Free Webinars: We offer monthly webinars on a variety of topics designed to help you take charge of your health and wellbeing. Webinars are free, but registration is required.
- Wellbeing Series: The Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing hosts wellbeing thought-leaders to inspire and educate our community.
- Mind-Body Tools to Manage Stress and Anxiety Workshops: This three-part series of 1-hour online workshops includes mind and body-based exercises to help you better understand your experience of situations. You will learn practices that help restore calm, stabilize mood, and support focus. Cost: $10-20 per workshop.
The Taking Charge of Your Health & Wellbeing website offers free, online resources for students seeking wellbeing information. The Student Corner is a digital hub for resources on mindfulness, nutrition, integrative therapies, purpose, and other topics. It focuses on practical, evidence-based resources for issues that are relevant to today’s university student.
The Student Wellbeing Guide features tips and strategies to help students focus on their wellbeing.
For Health Sciences Students
The Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing is a national leader in the field of integrative therapies and healing practices through its education, research, and outreach efforts. Our courses and programming focus on blending the best of modern, conventional healthcare with clinical applications of integrative therapeutic modalities.
- Burnout is a critical issue among health professionals and physicians. This six-week, mobile-platform based foundational program builds the skills to cultivate your own personal wellbeing and resilience.
- Coursera: The Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing offers two specializations through Coursera:
- Integrative Nursing Specialization: Teaches a patient-centered, relationship-based approach to nursing that utilizes a variety of integrative healing modalities.
- Integrative Health and Medicine Specialization: Learn to incorporate complementary therapies in clinical practice to improve outcomes and promote wellbeing.
- Academic Courses: As patient demand for holistic and integrative approaches to care continues to grow, supplementing your knowledge with integrative practices is a wise, career enhancing move. Center courses teach health sciences students and professionals about the interconnectedness of body-mind-spirit, and the vital roles that world culture and spirituality play in achieving optimal health.