CSPH 1000 - Music for Wellbeing in Times of Stress and Anxiety
This course is fully online.
In this course, we will explore music’s tremendous potential to influence our moods and overall wellbeing. Specifically, we will examine (a) the ways in which music profoundly affects the brain and body, (b) how people around the world have used music to support emotional healing, throughout history, (c) current research on music for the reduction of anxiety and distress, and (d) specific ways for using music to promote your own calmness and equilibrium, even in times of high stress.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify at least three areas of the brain that are affected by music and describe their role in brain function.
- Explain how music listening and/or playing can bring about reductions in anxiety and distress through its effects on the brain and body.
- Describe ways that people have used music to improve emotional wellbeing, throughout history and across cultures.
- Conduct a search for research literature on music for emotional wellbeing.
- Discuss studies on music for emotional wellbeing.
- Identify and apply at least two methods of using music, alone or with other methods of mental health support, to lower your own anxiety level and improve wellbeing.