CSPH 5707 - Coaching People with Clinical Conditions
This course equips healthcare professionals with an overview of clinical conditions most prevalent in society today and skills to use that knowledge in coaching. For each condition, we will study a description of the condition, primary effects, secondary effects, daily lifestyle challenges, self-management of the condition, treatment options and treatment protocols. In this course you will learn and practice coaching skills to facilitate a client's process to increase awareness of their condition, learn self management techniques, have empowering conversations with healthcare providers, consider treatment options, and build support networks. We will differentiate between disease management and coaching for client self-efficacy in managing their clinical conditions.
Students will be assigned to triads for scenario practices and online discussions which are supervised by the Instructor.
Note: Meets primarily online, with 2 in-person meetings on campus.
- Describe various clinical conditions such as obesity, hypertension and hyperlipidemia, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, chronic heart disease, asthma and COPD, sleep disorders, chronic headaches, arthritis, auto-immune disorders, chronic kidney disease, and mood disorders
- Relay primary and secondary effects of clinical conditions
- Discuss daily lifestyle challenges and self-management of clinical conditions
- Understand treatment options and protocols for clinical conditions
- Describe the difference between disease management and coaching for client self-efficacy in managing their clinical condition
- Use empathetic understanding of clinical conditions to effectively coach with clients
- Assist clients to increase awareness, self-manage, communicate, make thoughtful decisions and gather support to become more self-efficacious in the management of their clinical condition