Upcoming Mindfulness Classes
Since 2004, the Center for Spirituality & Healing has been offering Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). MBSR is about taking control of our lives, being aware of influences that affect our health and wellbeing, and finding peace-of-mind and returning to balance with the throes of an oftentimes chaotic world. Developed by renowned practitioner and author Jon Kabat-Zinn, MBSR will teach you to consciously and methodically deal with stress, pain, illness, and the demanding challenges of everyday life.
Research is proving that we can learn to use our own innate resources to:
- Cope more effectively with both short and long-term stressful situations
- Increase our ability to relax and rejuvenate
- Decrease physical and psychological symptoms from illness
- Reduce pain levels and an enhanced ability to cope and deal with chronic pain
Participants will learn skills in mindfulness meditation and how to build upon personal strengths in order to respond more effectively to health challenges and offset the adverse effects of stress. MBSR will help participants cope and live more fully with a wide variety of challenges, and to be present to all of life, including its joys.
This program is eight weeks and nine sessions long. Participants meet once per week for 2.5 hours (3 for the first and last session), and come together for a day-long Saturday or Sunday retreat.
The program cost includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Individual reflection, small/large group dialogues
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Daily assigned practices or "homework"
- Individual, tailored instruction as needed or requested
- CDs and workbook
- Continuing Education credits (CEUs) available for an additional $25 fee
General Public - Early Registration: $425 (Regular Fee $450)
Repeat Participants - Early Registration $350 (Regular Fee $375)
Discounted - Early Registration $382.50 (Regular Fee $405) (10% discount) for:
- University of Minnesota Alumni Associate (UMAA)
- University of Minnesota Retirees Association (UMRA)
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI)
UPlan Member Benefit
University employees who are covered by the UPlan Medical Plan can be financially rewarded for participating in stress reduction, exercise, and health improvement programs.
When you complete Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program (MBSR) or Mindfulness in Motion (MiM) offered through the Center for Spirituality & Healing, you may qualify to be reimbursed for a portion of the cost of the courses. Only UPlan Medical Program employees are eligible for reimbursement, and may only receive one reimbursement per lifetime per class. Spouses are not eligible for course reimbursement, even if they are a University of Minnesota employee.
For more information on eligibility visit the Wellness & Worklife website.
The Center for Spirituality & Healing offers scholarships to MBSR participants in need. No one is turned away due to ability to pay; partial and work scholarships are available, although a scholarship is based on both financial need as well as limited availability in any given program.