CSPH 5331 - Foundations of Shamanism and Shamanic Healing
In this fundamentals course, students will learn essential elements of the non-biomedical shamanic “life-way” at the foundation of all shamanism. Participants will study shamanic beliefs about the individual’s role in life, community, and the universe, and how these ideas are at the core of all shamanic healing practices. They will study cross-cultural healing beliefs and practices, the unique psychology necessary to understand them, and how these approaches may be used with contemporary healing practices and for personal growth. This course provides a core understanding of shamanic philosophies and ritual etiquette, properly preparing students to continue in deeper personal study and/or to more optimally participate in an experiential cultural immersion (e.g. via a Global Healing Traditions course.)
This course will be held in person from Sept. 18 - 21, 2019 at Martell's Landing in Somerset, Wisconsin.
- Discuss shamanic perspectives of healing, health, and well-being.
- Identify the historical and cultural context of traditional healing and the unique psychological mindset necessary to understand it.
- Define shamanism, discern the difference between the cultural form and the healing function, and recognize shamanic elements in traditional and contemporary healing techniques.
- Identify ritual and ceremony as two distinct shamanic tools and define their role in maintaining the health of the individual, the community and their relationship with their environment.
- Discuss the human-natural world relationship, and the interdependent relationship between human healing and ecologic salvation/restoration.
- Demonstrate the ability to utilize the techniques of journeying, ritual, shamanic psychological self-alignment, and gathering and containing energy/power through daily personal practice and understand their application for the healing of self and others. Student’s understanding should be demonstrated in the reflective paper.
- Compare and contrast the full range of shamanic healing practices and their potential benefits for self and patients.
- Discuss the concepts of soul loss and soul retrieval, the techniques for retrieval, and how and when they may be applied.
- Recognize the symptoms of shamanic illnesses in individuals.
To search for classes, register classes, or learn how to enroll, please click the button below.